Grant top-up bursaries to learners from severely disadvantaged rural families to enable them to access and achieve a university education
Western Cape, Overberg (Bereaville, Genadendal, Greyton, Voorstekraal)
Schools: Emil Weder High School, Genadendal; Overberg High School, Caledon.
Disadvantaged learners in grades 8-12 (31 in 2013) who are able to progress to tertiary institutions. (14 at universities in 2013).
Our university bursary recipients.
- Identify marginalised youth with potential for tertiary education and award bursaries/scholarships.
- Broaden our bursary recipients worldview with educational excursions.
- Provide a mathematic development program for scholars
- Career guidance and counseling.
- Assist with applications for bursaries and loans.
- Provision of ‘Top-up’ bursaries for university students.
- Workshop/guidebook on 'Life at University'.
- Provide ongoing mentorship to university students.
About R250,000.00 p.a. and growing. Overhead costs are less than 8% mainly bank, auditors.
- Run by passionate volunteers with professional backgrounds.
- 92% of all donations spent on student support.
- Stringent selection criteria.
- Maintain close contact/mentoring with all university students.
>95% pass rate built on trust, hard work by students, mentoring support and continued contact (compared to national average of about 30%).
More donations to
- extend our reach to additional schools and university students
- to provide extra mathematics tuition